Skip to content
5 Fast facts about plastic and paper
- Plastic, the most widely used material in the world, is made from fossil fuel-derived synthetic resins.
- Paper is made from renewable resources. It's fully biodegradable, without leaving any toxic residue.
- Integrated pulp and paper production makes extensive use of biofuels. The plastics industry uses mainly fossil fuels.
- Globally, 52.4% of the energy we generated was derived from renewable resources in 2021.
- Plastics like PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate) take over 450 years to degrade. Some hard plastics may never degrade.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.